Sunday, April 19, 2009

A strange sense of happiness

The novelty of the Senators not making the playoffs is kind of making me happy. This is the first time in 12 years that they've missed the rite of spring, and last night I came to a grand realization: it's not that bad.

The Sens had a terrible year. They were chasing their tails for most of the season and were a total trainwreck in all areas of the game. I can honestly say that I think they will make the playoffs next season (and I hope it's not the subconscious Senators fan in me sneaking to the surface).

For the first time in my adult life, I can actually adopt another team for the playoffs rather than viewing them as the enemy. It's kind of fun. I was watching the Bruins and Habs last night with glee. They're tearing one another apart! What a crazy series that has turned into.

My favourite series currently underway has to be Chicago vs. Calgary. Two excellent goaltenders competing every game to save their team from elimination. The Blackhawks have such great young talent to go along with their overpaid stars (Havlat, Khabibulin, Campbell), and that's the formula that works in the NHL these days (I guess the Sens just need some young talent, haha). Chicago's my sentimental pick to win the Cup this year (Red Wings are my reluctant actual pick).

I'm curious as to which team other die-hard Sens fans are picking for the Cup this year, and how they're enjoying just kicking back and watching the playoffs. Who's your pick?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin