Sunday, December 30, 2007

Frustrating, but exciting nonetheless

The Sens' 8-6 loss to Washington was pretty tough to watch at times, with the team scoring to get back into the game only to allow the Capitals a chance of their own. But it was pretty exciting, especially in the third period, where 7 of the 14 goals were scored.

I'm not going to go into too much detail, but somehow Daniel Alfredsson was +3 on the night. That was the best of the game, as not even one of the Capitals had a +/- that high. At the other end, though, Chris Kelly and Chris Neil were both -3.

Speaking of Neil, he got pummeled by Donald Brashear. Kudos to Neil for standing up, but come on, man. As for Brashear, he's a wuss for not standing up to Brian McGrattan while Grats wanted to fight him, but then fighting the much smaller Neil when he got the chance. As for the ice time situation, McGrattan got 3:17, exactly half as much as Brashear was given by Caps coach Bruce Boudreault. A coach showing confidence in his role players? No...

Martin Gerber looked weak on some of the goals. John Paddock didn't pull him to put Ray Emery in in relief, who knows why (maybe this week's drama?). But I think Rayzor might get a chance next game if he puts his words into actions and heeds his own advice:

“I got mad at myself because I’ve been having trouble getting motivated on the ice. I was more upset with myself. It was a coincidence that I slept in (Friday),” he said. “I have no one to blame but myself for the situation I am in. I’ve got to get it turned around.
“It’s one thing to say you want to do more. I don’t know why I’m not motivated right now, but it’s got to change.”

He was at practice by 8:30 on Saturday to work with goalie coach Eli Wilson, and hopefully he keeps actually getting work done at practice. And hopefully this is the end of the ongoing goaltending controversy, but don't count on it.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin