Friday, August 10, 2007

I've never been wrong before...

Before the free agent period started, I had a look at the Senators' unrestricted free agents. Let's see how accurate I was on June 12...

Mike Comrie: What I said then...
Likely scenario: He walks. Something tells me he'll go back to some obscure hockey market (like Phoenix or Columbus or Florida) and the media in Ottawa will never see him again.

What happened: The guy did walk. It's not like the Sens didn't try to keep him, the guy just puts his wallet before winning. With the Islanders in a different division, we'll likely not hear from him next year. PS: The Islanders are paying him $3.3 million in 07-08.

Dean McAmmond:
What I said then...
Likely scenario: It's hard to say how this one will go. I think this Canadian kid enjoys playing in a hockey town, but I can't help but think there's a team that will offer him $1 million or more for a 1-year deal, but the sens might match it.

What happened: The Sens got a deal on this guy, signing him for 3 years at $875, 000 per year. I do not know how they did it. This speedy centre/left-winger got 29 points last year and he's being paid like a rookie straight off the farm team. Sweet deal Murray/Muckler!

Tom Preissing: What I said then...
Likely scenario: Tom Preissing is 28 years old and toiled in the college/minors for many long years. He will go to the highest bidder, no matter where that is - he's probably got a young family to provide for and not much time to make this hockey career worth the effort. I see another team scooping him up, and I'll be sad to see him go.

What happened: Tommy P left us. He got $2.75 million per year for the next 4 years in Los Angeles. Good for him, I guess. Except for the fact that Los Angeles hasn't had a buzz since Gretzky left.

So overall, what happened to the Sens' UFAs this off-season? Pretty much what we expected. McAmmond sticking around is a pleasant surprise, but the departure of Preissing and Comrie leaves some big holes to fill in the lineup. As of yet, Murray hasn't really replaced the players that we've lost.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin