Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Can we please pre-tire Daniel Alfredsson?

I randomly came across a SLAM! Chat with Daniel Alfredsson from March 10, 2000, and it was a lot of fun to read. A blast from the past, with each of Ron Tugnutt, Alexei Yashin, and Vaclav Prospal coming up in some of Alfie's responses.

The biggest revelation, though, came with this question, which I had never heard of before:
Mark Ward: ALfie, I heard a story that you got rid of your agent after he told you to hold out after your rookie year...is this correct? I think it's great if you did...and perhaps other players( without naming name ) on your team should take note of what a classy hockey player should be like

Daniel Alfredsson: Yes I did change agents after my first year. He didn't tell me to hold out. We didn't have the same view on how I wanted to things to be dealt with. He wanted me to seek a trade out of Ottawa to get more monery [sic]. He was very good to me and I don't hold anything against him.
Wow. Is this guy the greatest player to be an Ottawa Senator ever, or what? He fired his agent for suggesting he demand a trade, has deferred paycheques to allow trade-deadline acquisitions, signs discounted long-term contracts, routinely leads the team at even strength, on the powerplay, and the penalty kill. Oh yeah, and he's the only Senator to have won a major trophy as a Senator, when he won the Calder Trophy.

Seriously... put his jersey in the rafters now.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin