Wednesday, June 25, 2008

McGrattan traded to Coyotes?


You'll notice that by adding a question mark at the end of my headline, I've absolved myself from any wrongdoing should my report prove innacurate. There was really no need, though, as the Senators have released an advisory about the deal, in which Ottawa received a fifth-round pick for the 2009 draft in exchange for the pugilistic services of winger Brian McGrattan.

I am a McGrattan fan. Last year, I wrote a story about how he deserved better than what he was getting from the Senators, rarely dressing, and getting little to no ice time when he was in the lineup. I do think that he's got the ability to play at least fourth-line minutes, 6-8 a night, and he's one of the league's premiere heavyweights. If the Senators had no plans to play him, however, I do think that the right thing to do was trade him to a team where he'd have an opportunity to develop his game.

In Phoenix, Grats will likely get playing time, and I think getting into a full season will greatly help his endurance. He's got speed in straight lines, can hit people out of the arena, and fights--as I said--with the best. Good luck in Phoenix.

I suppose that new coach Craig Hartsburg felt that with Cody Bass and Chris Neil, the team had enough to get through a season, and an enforcer was unnecessary. Or maybe the Sens plan on signing one of Sean Avery or Georges Laraque, two unrestricted free agents with plenty of gumption.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin